I took last Friday off as a vacation day and got up before dawn.  4:15am to be exact.  I showered and packed the cooler and my toothbrush and blearily drove to my buddy’s house to load everything in his car.  We were going camping.

After some amazement at the amount of stuff we were going to have to pack into his Accord and the thought that we still had to pick up another guy and his gear, we headed out and eventually got everything and everyone settled.  The sun was up by then.  I was hungry.

We drove and drove and drove some more.  Stopped at Jack in the Box for some food that we would later regret and drove some more.  Once we reached the middle of nowhere we made a right and headed straight for Ozark Country.  The Accord deftly zipped around horse trailers and logging trucks.  I was too tired to care much.

We had to wait almost two hours for a group to show up and then boarded the bus for a very noisy ride many miles away.  Cubs fans were made fun of.  Laughter ensued.  We loaded up the canoes and floated about eight miles to the campsite where some more friends were already setup and waiting for us.  They had kayaked down the day before to make sure they got the spot they wanted.  Crazy bastards.

It was a beautiful weekend where I derided anyone for checking their watches.  I caught a few fish and generally relaxed.  I was bored now and then and I couldn’t nap when I wanted to because my tent was like an oven.  The water was ice cold so there was no recreational swimming.  But it was still nice.

By dinner on Saturday night I was taking two Immodium because I didn’t want to experience again the horror that happened after lunch earlier that day.  Dig a hole and cover it up.  Hah! Tell that to the rehydrated Chili Mac that was coming out one way or the other.  No more pooping in the woods for me thankyouverymuch.  I’d rather be medicinally constipated.

It took three tries to get my tent back in the small bag it came out of on Sunday morning.  We sat around till lunch and shot the shit and packed up the canoes and kayaks after eating.  It took a few hours and some serious paddling and we were back at the pull out site.  We were tired, smelly and I wanted to get home and see my family.

We packed up the Accord once more with slightly less than we had arrived with.  We left Ozark Country with fresh clothes on our backs but still in need of a serious scrubbing.  We made a left at the middle of nowhere and headed home once more.

Tags: ,

8 Responses to “Camping”

  1. It’s funny the very different perceptions of the exact same trip:) Matt talked me into camping like this ONE time and that was the ONLY time, no “pooping in the woods for me thankyouverymuch” is something I agree with wholeheartedly!! LOL!! Glad you guys had fun…..I think:)

  2. Melissa says:

    *Scanning for mention of fun*… Negative.

  3. cybrpunk says:

    It was good. I’m not sure if it classifies as fun in the traditional sense but it was relaxing and that was what I wanted.

  4. Reed says:

    Where were you? You’re not there now, so it’s not like I’m going to stalk you but there may be someone still there I can stalk.

  5. cybrpunk says:

    Current river upstream from the Jack’s Fork confluence.

  6. Reed says:

    Sweet! My dad’s from close to that area not far from Fremont / Wilderness.

  7. Ted says:

    Hmmmm… might be that others have different opinions of the float? The frigid waters, rustic facilities, scrounging for adequate comfort. What’s not to love? :) Someone either didn’t read the noob list or should have picked a better site for his tent. ;) Seriously though man, it was a blast and had a damn fine time having you along. Looking forward to the spring float.

  8. cybrpunk says:

    I went over the noob list plenty of times. However, next time I do something like this I will be bringing the immodium for sure. I had no idea the dehydrated food would tear me up so bad.

    I did have a good time. It was relaxing and that was good.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.