Death in St. Louis

I don’t normally browse MSN or anything, but I just rebuilt my new work PC and that is still my home page by default for Internet Explorer.   Ah well, I can change that later.  But something caught my eye on there.  Two articles about the Best and Worst cities – one  for men and the other for women.  I was intrigued, so I took a few minutes to check out the one for Men.

I read through the article and look at the top 10 best cities to live in and continue on reading.  Silently I muse to myself that wouldn’t it be funny if St. Louis was on the list.  Funny indeed.  There at the bottom of the page was listing number 99 out of 100: St. Louis.

Holy crap!  I’m living in the second worst city in the entire United States according to this study!  I was really dreading coming back home to St. Louis after living overseas, but this isn’t even the kind of thing that I was dreading.

Of course I had to check the sister article for the best and worst cities for women next to see if my hometown would (dis)grace that page as well.  Sure enouh I skip to the bottom and see St. Louis proudly in the same spot of second worst of all.  I can just see that little bit of text looking rather smug thinking, “Hey, at least we’re not last on the list!”

Damn.  Since the article takes into consideration things like heart disease, diabetes, pollution, air quality, etc. I have a hard time believing that this is skewed in any way.

And according to both these lists there are two top cities that are great for both men and women: Seattle and Salt Lake City.  Which is kind of a nice thought because I would love to live in or around Seattle.  On the other hand, you couldn’t pay me enough to move to Salt Lake City.  I’m just not the cult type.

So what now?  Considering a large portion of my readers are residents of St. Louis, MO – what do you think about this?  Are you surprised like I was?

10 Responses to “Death in St. Louis”

1. VegasDad says:

That is surprising. I’m sure Vegas was down at the bottom too though. I’m happy to see Seattle near the top. We’re thinking of moving there next. I would never, ever live in SLC.

2. cybrpunk says:

Actually, Las Vegas was 3rd worst after St. Louis on the Men’s list. LV didn’t seem to make the bottom ten for the women but I’m sure it was close.

3. Reed says:

Not surprising to me but even back in 1994, we had the highest murder rate per capita…I’ve just always been interesting in politics, sociology, anthropology, history…all that shite. So, I paid attention?

4. yoshi says:

As a person who’s lived in both cities (well ok I don’t live IN seattle, but honestly I live close enough) I have to say that I don’t see St. Louis as being any worse than Seattle. Honestly. There are so many awesome things about St. Louis.

One of the things I really miss about St. Louis is the food. Then there’s mardi gras. then there’s the fair. Although I’ve heard the fair isn’t all that anymore.

5. Insomnic says:

I’d like to take this chance to say “Toljda so!” … Just another reason St. Louis irritates me. Oh, and I WOULD live in Salt Lake City. Probably ’cause I lived there for awhile and I’m not surprised at all that it is at the top of the list. It’s a really health conscious and clean city. Extremely friendly and safe feeling as well.

Try not to by into the latest internet bad guy trend.

I liked Seattle as well and it had a very similar feel to the city as Salt Lake City, but that weather issue was a bit weary.

@Yoshi – I think the food is probably the big issue here. St. Louis is big on food – great taste really. Problem is that none of it is good for you!

6. crockdaddy says:

Spin spin spin …. it all depends on how you want to spin the stats. I have not checked the article, but STLs biggest problem and a few of its sister cities most often ranked as crappy, the study simply counts City proper due to STL city also being its own county. Imagine LA being counted … but ignoring Orange county. Talk about change in demographics. So, STL City is overall poor …. add STL county to the mix and strangely enough the demographics change. Not too suprising. Then again this article might be including the entire area, who knows, in which case we suck yet again lol. Gawd, soon we will be in the gutter with Cleveland and Detroit .. oh wait too late.

7. cybrpunk says:

Yeah… you should at least look at the article first. LA is not listed in the top or bottom but a few of it’s surrounding suburbs are. I was shocked to see Riverside down near the bottom.

There were 30 criteria used for the study. I just wish there was more info about that study listed.

8. cybrpunk says:

What is the latest internet bad guy trend? If you are talking about SLC (and I’m not sure you are) I’ve been creeped out by Utah in general since long before there was web browsers or anything other than Arpanet. I’m not net savvy or have the time to see what the trends are. You’ll have to explain.

9. Livingdead says:

I would rather jam rusty scissors repeatedly into my crotch than live in SLC.

10. I don’t take stock in polls such as this one. There is nothing scientific or conclusive about the results. This is just like the “fattest city” polls that just count up the fast food junks and divide by gyms. Pay no mind.