An update

A long holiday weekend.  Time to relax and sleep in and generally enjoy yourself.  Yeah right.

Thursday night, the power went out and didn’t come back on until almost the afternoon on Friday.  We went to bed with the window open and no breeze and sweated.  I barely slept and I’m sure Muse didn’t sleep well either.  I woke up the next morning and took a shower by flashlight and skipped breakfast because we couldn’t open the fridge.

Friday I was exhausted at work and luckily it was only moderately busy.  But then I get home and we have to get packed up and drive 100 miles down to the country to visit with Muse’s family.  Highway 55 was completely stopped in Barnhart for some unknown reason so we had to fight a parking lot of cars to get off the highway and take some backroads to get out of the mess.  Needless to say that 100 mile trip became much longer than normal.

Of course we had to go visit people who are up drinking (unlike us) instead of going to sleep.  We didn’t get to crash until around 1:30am Saturday.  I’m pretty sure I’d only been asleep for 15 minutes when Muse woke me up with hallucinations of a large spider crawling on me.  Which wouldn’t be completely out of the question considering no one had been in the house we were staying at for a while.  But no.  No spider.  OK back to bed.  Another restless night on an ancient and uncomfortable bed only gives us marginally more sleep than the night before.  At least there is some air-conditioning.

Saturday was spent visiting various family members who all live near each other but can’t really stand one another.   It wasn’t horrible, but it would be so much nicer if Muse’s family could just quit worrying about who is screwing over who for what and just get together so we could see them all at once.  I get so sick of telling and hearing the same stories five times because each visit is like another day of Groundhog Day forever doomed to repeat.

Of course being tired and sleep deprived, I really wanted to get out of the country and back to St. Louis while there was still some daylight.  And of course that didn’t happen.  At least we got some dinner out of the deal before we stayed even longer.  Dinner which didn’t sit well with me unfortunately.  But finally we got on the road and Muse layed back in the seat and proceeded to sleep the next hour of the trip home.  Good thing the new car has satellite radio to keep me entertained.  So we got back in around 11:30pm and had to take care of the dogs and probably didn’t get to bed till around 12:30am or so.  And then I set the alarm for 6:45am.

On Sunday morning we got up early and met our real estate agent to view a bunch of houses in the South County area.  No luck.  We finished up and headed home.  Muse took a nap and I joined her.  Unfortunately my lingering cough that I’ve had since I returned from Hong Kong cropped up and gave me coughing fits.  OK no nap for me.  The rest of Sunday was fairly uneventful and we started a big jigsaw puzzle with my Mom and Step-Dad for lack of anything better to do.  Besides, when was the last time I did one of those?  Who knows.

We stayed up late again and set the alarm for 6:30am.  More house viewings on Monday morning.  Needless to say, we were one of the only cars on the road at 7:45am on Labor Day.    We went on a marathon run of house viewings and only found one maybe and another possibly-maybe.  Muse took another nap in the afternoon and I helped finish up the jigsaw puzzle.

Party on dudes.  Party on.

Tags: , , ,

One Response to “An update”

  1. insomnic says:

    That sounds terrible. Maybe you should move back to Hong Kong.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.