Someone is watching me

I have a lot of big projects going on this week and next before we head home for the Christmas holidays. So I was able to get a guy from our home office to come help me out for two weeks before he went to visit family and friends here in Hong Kong. Which is awesome because I’ve needed help for a while and especially during the upcoming office move next week.

The other side of this situation is that because we are out of space, he’s sitting at my little work bench/desk behind my desk so it’s kind of crammed. And worse yet, he can see everything I do. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t have a ton of time to goof off or anything so it’s not that. However, when I do catch a break I tend to browse the news and write my posts for this website. But with someone else there I can’t do write. He could care less what I do I’m sure but it’s not that.

I hate it when people watch what I type while I’m typing. There I said it.

I have no idea why. It’s completely irrational. But it just irritates the piss out of me if someone starts reading my screen while I’m typing. So much so that I usually just have to stop typing altogether for a bit. Even my wife has experienced this whether she was consciously aware of it or not. Even now, I’ve been at my computer for the past hour or two with her sitting next to me at hers and it wasn’t until just a few minutes ago when she left the room that I brought up my web site and started typing this post. All while she’s off somewhere else.

Shh… here she comes. Make like you’re doing something else.

OK she didn’t come in. I feel like I’m hiding something from her by not typing around her but it’s nothing like that at all. I have no idea why I feel that way and no idea how not to feel that way. This is why most of my blog posts and my writing on my stories gets done while I’m in the privacy of my office at work. During my breaks of course.

Anybody else have this problem? Or something like it that you’d like to share?

7 Comments

• By Jason, December 13, 2007 @ 12:11 am

I hate having anyone read over my shoulder as I type. Even my wife. It prevents me from expressing myself as I want because I worry about what they’re thinking. And if they say something about what I’m writing, that’s even worse. They need to mind their business.

• By Karaoke Diva, December 13, 2007 @ 1:38 am

I am exactly the same way! I can have Kevin in the room with me while I post, but if he even turns his head towards me while he’s in there, I have to do something else and I usually snap at him to quit reading over my shoulder. Even though he reads what I write 10 seconds after I post it, I can’t STAND to have him read it while I’m typing it out!

• By yoshi, December 13, 2007 @ 4:02 am

You’re not alone. I think for the most part, everyone is like that.

No one likes to have someone looking over their shoulder. it seems so…intrusive. it make me want to scream out, “you’re invading my personal space!”

Of course, it’s different if I invite them to look at the screen. But yeah, in general, that’s a big fat no on looking over my shoulder.

Oh, and this sentence: “I hate it when people what I type while I’m typing.” You’re talking like me dude. It’s not right but I know exactly what you mean. :P

response from cybr:
    I fixed that. Thanks for pointing it out. Nothing like screwing up the premise of the post.

• By HK Muse/Your Better Half, December 13, 2007 @ 9:13 am

You are so nuts.

• By cybrpunk, December 13, 2007 @ 11:33 am

I’m not nuts. I’m just… umm… you know… I… yeah OK.

• By Shannon River, December 13, 2007 @ 2:09 pm

Yep. I’m the exact same way.

• By tiggerprr, December 16, 2007 @ 3:46 am

Me too.

Other Links to this Post

RSS feed for comments on this post.